The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : COMMISSIONERS AND DIRECTORS(Cite as: 3 V.S.A. § 2253)
§ 2253. Permissive duties; approval of Secretary
Each commissioner may, with the approval of the Secretary:
(1) Transfer classified positions within or between divisions subject only to State laws and regulations.
(2) Cooperate with the appropriate federal agencies and administer federal funds in support of programs within the department.
(3) Submit plans and reports, and in other respects comply with federal law and regulations which pertain to programs administered by the department.
(4) Adopt rules for the internal administration of the department and its programs.
(5) Appoint a deputy commissioner. All such appointments shall be in writing and recorded in the Office of the Secretary of State. In case a vacancy occurs in the office of a commissioner, or the commissioner is absent, his or her deputy shall assume and discharge the duties of office until the vacancy is filled, or the commissioner returns.
(6) Create such advisory councils or committees as he or she deems necessary within the department, and appoint their members, for a term not exceeding his or hers.
(7) Provide training and instruction for any employees of the department, at the expense of the department, in educational institutions or other places.
(8) Organize, reorganize, transfer, or abolish divisions, staff functions, or sections within the department. This authority shall not extend to divisions or other bodies created by law. (Added 1971, No. 92, § 5(d), eff. June 1, 1971; amended 1987, No. 243 (Adj. Sess.), § 14, eff. June 13, 1988.)