Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2021-2022 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online


Title 25: Navigation and Waters


  • Subchapter 001: GENERAL PROVISIONS
  • § 201. Boom for logs

    When it becomes necessary for a person rightfully engaged in running logs down a river or stream in this State to anchor a boom for such logs on land bounding upon such river or stream, and he or she is unable to agree with the owner or occupant of such land with reference thereto, such person may call upon the selectboard of the town wherein such land lies to act in the premises, by giving at least 48 hours' notice in writing thereof to such owner or occupant. Thereupon the selectboard shall investigate and decide as to the necessity and location of such boom, the time during which it shall remain, and the amount of damage, if any. The decision of the selectboard shall be in writing and be final. When such person has paid or tendered to the selectboard his or her fees in the matter and to the owner or occupant of such land the damages awarded, the boom may be anchored in accordance with the findings of the selectmen.

  • § 202. Retention of lodged lumber for damages

    When lumber, such as spars, masts, square timber, logs, or sawed lumber, put into a stream in or adjoining the State, and lodged upon lands adjoining the same, or dams crossing such streams, in this State, is not taken away by the owner on or before May 1, annually, the owner of the lands or dams may detain in his or her possession such lumber, until the owner thereof pays the damages sustained by reason of its lying upon such lands or dams.

  • § 203. Removal of lumber

    When such lumber is not removed by the owner on or before November 1, annually, the owner of the lands or dams may take and convert it to his or her own use. The owner of the lumber, by paying the damages and costs, may remove the same from the lands or dams between November 1 and May 1 following.

  • § 204. Advertisement

    The lumber shall not be forfeited unless the owner of lands or dams upon which such lumber is lodged shall advertise the same at a public place in the town where the lumber is lodged, giving in the advertisement a description of the lumber, the owner's marks, if any, and also cause the advertisement to be recorded in the town clerk's office, in the month of September, in the same year.

  • § 205. Fees

    The person advertising the lumber shall be entitled to receive $0.34 for the copy of the advertisement left with the town clerk, and $0.06 a mile travel to advertise the same. Such fees shall be paid by the owner of the lumber at the time the damage is paid to the owner of the land or dam, when the lumber does not become forfeited. When the lumber is forfeited, the fees shall be paid by the party advertising. (Amended 1971, No. 84, § 13.)

  • § 206. Adjustment of damages

    When the owner of such lumber and the owner of the lands or dams do not agree upon the damages, the selectboard of the town where the lands or dams are situated, not being interested therein, shall adjust the same. If such selectboard members are interested, a superior judge not interested, shall adjust the damages. Such adjudication shall be final between the parties. (Amended 1973, No. 249 (Adj. Sess.), § 82, eff. April 9, 1974.)

  • § 207. Treble damages for stopping or conversion of floating lumber

    When a person stops masts, spars, square timber, logs, or sawed lumber and confines it in a place in this State, so as to prevent it from floating down a stream in or adjoining this State, such lumber being marked with the owner's name or mark, or destroys, makes use of, or disposes of the same, except such as becomes forfeit, he or she shall be liable to the owner for three times the value of the lumber, if it is found on trial that the same was done in bad faith, otherwise the judgment shall be for the actual damages.

  • § 241. Application of provisions

    This subchapter shall apply to every person, partnership, unincorporated association, or corporation that shall drive or float lumber in any stream. The use of any such stream for such purpose shall constitute an election on the part of such person, partnership, unincorporated association, or corporation to be subject to the provisions of this subchapter and to be bound thereby. This subchapter shall apply to every owner of the land adjoining any stream so used for the purpose of driving or floating lumber, unless, within 60 days after an alleged injury, the owner notifies, in writing, the Public Utility Commission that the provisions of this subchapter are not intended to apply. (Amended 1959, No. 329 (Adj. Sess.), § 39(b), eff. March 1, 1961.)

  • § 242. Petition to Public Utility Commission

    When damage is done to such owner by such lumber in the driving or floating of the same and such owner and the owner of the lumber do not agree upon the damages, either party may prefer a petition to the Public Utility Commission setting forth the injury alleged to be sustained and praying for the redress provided for by this subchapter. (Amended 1959, No. 329 (Adj. Sess.), § 39(b), eff. March 1, 1961.)

  • § 243. Notice and hearing; decision

    Upon due notice to all parties in interest, the Public Utility Commission shall hear and determine the cause of such injury to the land or other property adjoining such stream. When the Commission determines that such injury was caused by the driving or floating of lumber, it shall fix the compensation to be paid therefor, including expense for witnesses and a reasonable attorney fee, and render decision accordingly, which decision shall be final and a bar to any other action brought for such damages. (Amended 1959, No. 329 (Adj. Sess.), § 39(b), eff. March 1, 1961.)

  • § 244. Judgment on decision

    A party in interest may file in the Superior Court for the county in which the inquiry was held a certified copy of the decision of the Commission awarding compensation, whereupon such court shall render judgment in accordance therewith and notify the parties thereof. Such judgment shall have the same effect, and all proceedings in relation thereto shall thereafter be the same as though such judgment had been rendered in an action duly heard and determined by such court, and there shall be no appeal therefrom. (Amended 1959, No. 329 (Adj. Sess.), § 39(b), eff. March 1, 1961; 1973, No. 193 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. April 9, 1974.)

  • § 245. Bond of foreign corporation

    A foreign corporation, before driving or floating any logs, lumber, or other timber in any stream in this State, shall file in the Office of the Secretary of State for the benefit of the owners of land adjoining any stream used by such corporation, a good and sufficient bond to be approved by the Secretary and in such sum as he or she directs. Such bond shall be given to the Secretary as trustee of the corporation, for each and all of the riparian owners, and shall be conditioned for the payment of all damages and compensation awarded by the Commission and any judgment rendered by any court from which an appeal has not been taken. Upon breach of the condition of such bond, the Secretary, upon application by a riparian owner whose award by the Commission or judgment remains unpaid for more than 30 days, shall institute proceedings thereon in his or her name as trustee for the benefit of all landowners to whom such corporation may be indebted, as hereinbefore provided, at the time such proceedings shall be instituted. (Amended 1959, No. 329 (Adj. Sess.), § 39(b), eff. March 1, 1961.)

  • § 246. Penalties for noncompliance

    A corporation that neglects or refuses to comply with a provision of section 245 of this title shall be fined not more than $100.00 nor less than $10.00, with costs, for each day's neglect or refusal.