Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2023-2024 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online

The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.

NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.

Title 17: Elections

Chapter 053: Vacancies

  • § 2621. Vacancy in office of U.S. Senator or Representative

    (a) If a vacancy occurs in the office of U.S. Senator or U.S. Representative, the Governor shall call a special election to fill the vacancy. His or her proclamation shall specify a day for the special election and a day for a special primary, pursuant to section 2352 of this title.

    (b) The special election shall be held not more than six months from the date the vacancy occurs, except that if the vacancy occurs within six months of a general election, the special election may be held the same day as the general election provided the ballots for the special election are able to be distributed by the deadline set forth in section 2479 of this title. (Added 1977, No. 269 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2019, No. 67, § 18.)

  • § 2622. Interim appointment of U.S. Senator

    The Governor may make an interim appointment to fill a vacancy in the office of U.S. Senator, pending the filling of the vacancy by special election. (Added 1977, No. 269 (Adj. Sess.), § 1.)

  • § 2623. Vacancies in offices within this State

    (a) In the event of a vacancy in any State, county, or legislative office, the Governor may request the political party or parties of the person whose death or resignation created the vacancy to submit one or more recommendations as to a successor. The proper committee to which a request for recommendation shall be directed shall be:

    (1) for State officers, the State committee;

    (2) for county officers, except justices of the peace and Probate judges, the county committee;

    (3) for State Senator, the senatorial district committee;

    (4) for State Representative, the representative district committee;

    (5) for justice of the peace, the town committee;

    (6) for Probate judge, the probate district committee.

    (b) The Governor may appoint a qualified person to fill the vacancy for the remaining portion of the term, whether or not the appointee is recommended by the party committee. (Added 1977, No. 269 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1981, No. 239 (Adj. Sess.), § 20; 2013, No. 161 (Adj. Sess.), § 44.)