The Vermont Statutes Online
The Vermont Statutes Online have been updated to include the actions of the 2023 session of the General Assembly.
NOTE: The Vermont Statutes Online is an unofficial copy of the Vermont Statutes Annotated that is provided as a convenience.
§ 101. Division of Geology and Mineral Resources; duties
The Division of Geology and Mineral Resources shall:
(1) conduct surveys and research related to the geology, mineral resources, and topography of the State;
(2) give aid and advice as may be possible relating to the development and working of rock or mineral deposits suitable for building, road making, and economic or other purposes;
(3) provide information and education to government, industry, other institutions and organizations, and to citizens regarding the geology, mineral resources, and topography of the State;
(4) provide technical information and advice regarding the management of mineral resources on State-owned lands, and cooperate where possible by providing geologic expertise and advice to persons conducting regulatory programs for the State;
(5) provide geological services for the Natural Gas and Oil Resources Board;
(6) maintain records of old and new information relating to the geology, mineral resources, and topography of the State;
(7) prepare and publish reports on the geology, mineral resources, and topography of the State. (Amended 1959, No. 328 (Adj. Sess.), § 8(b); 1983, No. 195 (Adj. Sess.), § 5(b); 1989, No. 245 (Adj. Sess.), § 3; 2015, No. 29, § 17.)
§ 102. Repealed. 1989, No. 245 (Adj. Sess.), § 6.
§ 103. Contracts; maps
(a) For the purpose of maintaining the geologic, mineral resource, and topographic surveys of this State, the Division of Geology and Mineral Resources may contract with agencies or departments of the U.S. government, for such work as may be required, including the methods of its execution and the order in which the mapping, research, and other surveys of the different parts of the State shall be completed; provided that the agencies or departments with whom the Division enters into a contract under this section shall agree to expend annually, on the part of the United States, upon such work a sum equal to or greater than that made annually available by this State for these purposes.
(b) All maps and other products shall conform to the highest quality and standards established by this State and the participating federal agency. All maps shall be made adaptable to the most modern techniques of production, reproduction and display. (Amended 1989, No. 245 (Adj. Sess.), § 4.)
§ 104. Expenditure of monies
The monies annually available for the purposes of section 103 of this title shall be expended by the State in accordance with the provisions of that section and relevant federal regulations. (Amended 1959, No. 328 (Adj. Sess.), § 8(b); 1983, No. 195 (Adj. Sess.), § 5(b); 1989, No. 245 (Adj. Sess.), § 5.)
§ 105. Geological publications and products; account
A special fund account to be known as the State Geological Publications Account is created. The Account shall contain all receipts from the sale of geological publications and products produced and sold by the State Geologist, and may be expended by the State Geologist for the purpose of supporting the production of geological publications and products. All balances in the Account at the end of any fiscal year shall be carried forward and remain part of the Account. Disbursements from the Account shall be made by the State Treasurer on warrants drawn by the Commissioner of Finance and Management. (Added 1987, No. 225 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 1997, No. 155 (Adj. Sess.), § 33.)