The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 41. Creation of committee; purpose
(a) Creation. There is created the Joint Legislative Management Committee. The Committee shall provide general oversight and management across the offices of the General Assembly and shall coordinate the operations of the Office of Legislative Operations in its delivery of shared administrative services to the legislative offices and the General Assembly.
(b) Membership. The Committee shall be composed of the following members:
(1) four members of the House, which shall include representation from the Joint Fiscal Committee and the House Rules Committee, and shall consist of:
(A) the Speaker of the House; and
(B) three members of the House appointed by the Speaker, not all from the same political party; and
(2) four members of the Senate, which shall include representation from the Joint Fiscal Committee and the Senate Rules Committee, and shall consist of:
(A) the President Pro Tempore; and
(B) three members of the Senate appointed by the Committee on Committees, not all from the same political party.
(c) Appointments and terms.
(1) Appointments shall be made biennially at the same time as standing committees.
(2) Members shall serve a term of two years or until their successors are appointed. The term of a member shall end upon his or her ceasing to be a member of the General Assembly.
(3) Interim vacancies may be filled by appointment by the Committee on Committees or the Speaker of the House in the same manner as in subsection (b) of this section.
(d) Meetings. The Committee shall meet immediately following the appointment of its membership to elect a chair and a vice chair and to organize and conduct its business. The Committee may meet as often as it deems necessary and a majority of the members shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. Meetings may be called by the Chair or by a majority of the members.
(e) Compensation; reimbursement. For attending a meeting of the Committee when he or she is not receiving compensation as a member of the General Assembly, a member of the Committee shall be entitled to the same per diem compensation and reimbursement for necessary expenses as provided members of standing committees under section 23 of this title. (Added 2019, No. 72, § E.126; amended 2019, No. 144 (Adj. Sess.), § 3 (redesignated from 2 V.S.A. § 451).)
§ 42. Oversight and management functions
(a) The Joint Legislative Management Committee shall:
(1) prepare a proposed budget for the Legislative Branch that includes a budget for each legislative office;
(2) approve requests for new, permanent positions in staff offices as appropriate, for inclusion in the proposed Legislative Branch budget;
(3) approve the reallocation of existing positions among staff offices, as appropriate;
(4) approve and adopt policies that apply across the Legislative Branch, including compensation and benefits plans, personnel policies, and policies relating to information technology; and
(5) attend to other relevant management and oversight matters.
(b) The Joint Legislative Management Committee shall have access to legal, financial, administrative, information technology, and other services from legislative offices as needed to serve the needs of the Legislative Branch. (Added 2019, No. 144 (Adj. Sess.), § 3.)