The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 155B-1. Town Treasurer
(a) The Selectboard shall appoint a Town Treasurer, in the manner set forth in subsection (b) of this section. The appointee shall be competent in the keeping of records, investments, and accounting, and shall serve at the pleasure of the Selectboard. The person chosen need not be a resident or voter of the Town.
(b)(1) Prior to appointing a Treasurer, the Selectboard shall appoint a committee to review and recommend to the Selectboard qualified candidates for the position of Treasurer.
(2) The committee shall be composed of two members of the Selectboard, the Town Clerk, a lister, and three residents of the Town.
(3) The committee shall have the authority to solicit candidates, advertise notice of a vacancy in the Treasurer's position, and make an investigation of a candidate's credentials and background as the committee deems appropriate. Upon completion of the investigation and interviewing of candidates, the committee shall submit to the Selectboard the names of those candidates deemed qualified for the position.
(c) The Selectboard shall appoint a Treasurer from that list, if applicable, or shall notify the committee that none of the candidates shall be appointed, not later than 30 days following submission of the names of candidates deemed qualified by the committee.
(d) Members of the committee described in subsection (b) of this section shall serve until a Treasurer is appointed by the Selectboard. Meetings of the committee shall be conducted in accordance with the Vermont Open Meeting Law.
(e) In case of a vacancy, until such time as a Treasurer is appointed pursuant to this section, the Selectboard shall appoint an interim Treasurer or manager.
(f) The Treasurer shall:
(1) Perform the duties required by State statutes or as provided by this chapter.
(2) Promptly deposit funds coming into his or her hands in such depositories as may be designated by the Selectboard.
(3) Invest Town funds, with the approval of the Selectboard.
(4) Keep such books and accounts as required by the Selectboard.
(5) Make monthly reports to the Selectboard of the financial activities of the Town. Such reports shall include:
(A) a listing of all expenditures during the preceding month;
(B) a listing of all revenue received during the preceding month, indicating the source of such revenues;
(C) an accounting of all reserve funds of the Town; and
(D) a statement showing the balance in the general, highway, and all special funds at the end of the preceding month.
(6) Perform the duties of the Collector of Current Taxes.
(7) Perform such other duties as specified in the accounting and financial policies adopted by the Selectboard. (Added 2015, No. M-6, § 2, eff. May 13, 2015.)