The Vermont Statutes Online
The statutes were updated in November, 2018, and contain all actions of the
2018 legislative session.
Subchapter 002 : FILING DOCUMENTS(Cite as: 11B V.S.A. § 1.20)
§ 1.20. Filing requirements
(a) A document must satisfy the requirements of this section, and of any other section that adds to or varies these requirements, to be entitled to filing by the Secretary of State.
(b) The document must contain the information required by this title. It may contain other information as well.
(c) The document must be typewritten or printed or, if electronically transmitted, it must be in a format that can be retrieved or reproduced in typewritten or printed form or in an electronic format prescribed by the Secretary of State.
(d) The document must be in the English language. However, a corporate name need not be in English if written in English letters or Arabic or Roman numerals, and the certificate of existence required of foreign corporations need not be in English if accompanied by a reasonably authenticated English translation.
(e) The document must be executed:
(1) by the presiding officer of its board of directors of a domestic or foreign corporation, its president, or by another of its officers;
(2) if directors have not been selected or the corporation has not been formed by an incorporator; or
(3) if the corporation is in the hands of a receiver, trustee, or other court-appointed fiduciary, by that fiduciary.
(f) The person executing a document shall sign it and state beneath or opposite the signature his or her name and the capacity in which he or she signs. The document may, but need not, contain:
(1) the corporate seal;
(2) an attestation by the secretary or an assistant secretary; or
(3) an acknowledgement, verification, or proof.
(g) If the Secretary of State has prescribed a mandatory form or electronic format for a document under section 1.21 of this title, the document must be in or on the prescribed form.
(h) The document must be delivered to the Office of the Secretary of State for filing and must be accompanied by one exact or conformed copy (except as provided in sections 5.03 and 15.09 of this title), and the correct filing fee. (Added 1995, No. 179 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1997; amended 2009, No. 78 (Adj. Sess.), § 25, eff. April 15, 2010.)