The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 006 : PROCEDURAL MATTERS(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 157, § 29)
§ 157-29. Appointed officers
(a) The Selectboard, by a majority vote, shall appoint the following Town officers for the terms indicated:
(1) Town Attorney for a term of one year, to fulfill the duties prescribed by law for the grand juror and town agent of a town, except as provided in subsection 14(f) of this chapter, and perform such other duties as may be requested by the Selectboard or the Town Administrator.
(2) Town Service Officer, a Dog Control Officer, Assistant Town Treasurer, Assistant Town Clerk, and a Health Officer for a term of one year.
(4) a Development Review Board of not fewer than five nor more than nine members, the length of the terms of the Board members, not to exceed three years, shall be established at the time of appointment of the individual Board member by the Selectboard, and two alternates with one-year terms. Any vacancy prior to the expiration of the term of the prior holder shall be for the unexpired term of the holder. Any member may be removed by the Selectboard at any time for cause upon written charges and after a public hearing.
(5) a Planning Commission of not fewer than three nor more than nine members, the length of the terms of the members, not to exceed three years, shall be established at the time of the appointment of the individual member by the Selectboard. Any vacancy prior to the expiration of the term of the prior holder shall be for the unexpired term of the holder. Any member may be removed by the Selectboard at any time by unanimous vote of the Selectboard.
(6) Regional Planning Commissioner, and one alternate for one year.
(7) Town Assessor for a term of one year, who may be a full-time lister.
(8) Custodial Officer for the Vermont Judicial Bureau and an issuing official for a term of one year.
(9) A Constable may be appointed for a one-year term by the Selectboard. The Constable's training and duties shall be set by the Selectboard. The Constable shall be subject to the comprehensive personnel plan of the Town of Windsor.
(10) One or more tree wardens for a term of one year per tree warden.
(11) Other special committees as needed.
(b) A vacancy in any appointed office may be filled for the duration of the unexpired term by the Selectboard.
(c) When it becomes necessary to make appointments to any office or position created by this charter, ordinance, or bylaws, the Selectboard shall give notice in a newspaper of general circulation within the Town specifying positions open for which appointment will be made so that interested persons may apply. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the reappointment by the Selectboard of an incumbent in an appointed office.
(d) The offices of Fence Viewer, Grand Juror, Inspector of Lumber, Weigher of Coal, Second Constable, and Auditor are all abolished. Except as otherwise provided in this charter, the Selectboard or its designee shall exercise the powers, duties, and responsibilities of any of the offices abolished in this section in the event that the need should arise.
(e) The Town Manager, with the advice and consent of the Selectboard, shall appoint a Zoning Administrator for a one-year term. (Amended 1999, No. M-12 (Adj. Sess.), § 19, eff. May 9, 2000; 2005, No. M-13 (Adj. Sess.), § 13, eff. May 17, 2006; 2007, No. M-19 (Adj. Sess.), § 3, eff. May 13, 2008; 2011, No. M-18 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 9, 2012.)