The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 123A-302. Duties of appointed officers; town manager
Town Manager. The duties of the Town Manager shall include:
(1) The Manager shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Town and shall carry out policies established by the Selectboard to whom the Manager shall report. The Manager shall be responsible to the Selectboard for the proper and efficient administration of departments under the Manager's charge as outlined in this chapter.
(2) The Manager is expected to attend all meetings of the Selectboard.
(3) The Manager shall provide to the Selectboard a monthly financial statement.
(4) The Manager shall make reports as the Selectboard requires or the Manager deems appropriate, or may be required by law or ordinance regarding any and all functions under the Manager's supervision.
(5) The Manager shall prepare an annual budget, submit it to the Selectboard, and be responsible for its administration after adoption.
(6) The Manager shall compile for general distribution at the end of each fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the Town for the year.
(7) The Manager or his or her designee shall be the Collector of Delinquent Taxes.
(8) The Manager shall keep the Selectboard apprised of the needs of the Town within the scope of the Manager's duties and annually furnish to the Selectboard a long-range projection of capital expenditures.
(9) The Manager shall examine or cause to be examined, with or without notice, the affairs of any department under the Manager's control or the conduct of any officer or employee thereof. For that purpose, the Manager shall have access to all books, papers, and wireless and electronic records of those departments for the information necessary for the proper performance of his or her duties.
(10) The Manager shall appoint, upon merit and fitness alone, and when the Manager deems necessary for the good of the service, suspend or remove any subordinate official, employee, or agent under the Manager's supervision as provided for in this chapter. All appointments may be without definite terms unless for provisional, temporary, or emergency service, in which case, terms shall not exceed the maximum periods prescribed by personnel rules and regulations. The Manager may authorize the head of a department or office responsible to the Manager to appoint and remove subordinates in the office or department.
(11) The Manager, under policies approved by the Selectboard, shall have the exclusive authority to appoint, fix the salaries of, and suspend and remove all officers and employees except those who are elected or who are appointed by the Selectboard.
(12) The Manager shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the Town except as otherwise provided by chapter or statute.
(13) The Manager shall keep full and complete records of the Manager's office.
(14) The Manager shall have oversight of buildings, properties, facilities, repairs thereon, and construction by the Town unless otherwise voted.
(15) The Manager shall perform other duties which may be required by the Selectboard, bylaws, or ordinance consistent with this chapter.
(16) The Manager may, when advisable and proper, delegate to Town subordinate officers or employees duties conferred on the Manager.
(17) Neither the Selectboard, any individual member of the Board, nor any of its committees or committee members shall dictate the appointment or discharge of any Town employee by the Manager or in any manner interfere with his or her exercising of judgment in the appointment and discharge of employees in the Town.
(18) The Manager shall perform other duties consistent with his or her office and this chapter as required by the Selectboard, law, ordinance, or mandate. (Added 2009, No. M-5, § 2, eff. April 29, 2009; amended 2017, No. M-4, § 2, eff. May 17, 2017.)