The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : OFFICERS(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 117, § 209)
§ 117-209. Powers and duties
(a) The members of the Board of Selectmen shall constitute the legislative body of the Town of Essex for all purposes required by statute and shall have all powers and authority given to, and perform all duties required of town legislative bodies or boards of selectmen under the laws of the State of Vermont.
(b) Within the limitations of the foregoing, the selectmen shall have the power to:
(1) Appoint and remove the Town Manager and supervise, create, change, and abolish offices, commissions, or departments other than the offices, commissions, or departments established by this charter.
(2) Appoint the members of all boards, commissions, committees, or similar bodies unless specifically provided otherwise by this charter.
(3) Provide for an independent audit by a registered or certified public accountant.
(4) Inquire into the conduct of any officer, commission, or department and investigate any and all municipal affairs.
(5) Exercise each and every other power which is not specifically set forth herein, but which is granted to the selectmen by the statutes of the State of Vermont.