The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 289-2. Powers of Village
The Village is hereby granted and endowed with the power and authority to exercise the functions of a municipal corporation for the following purposes, and to the following extent only:
(1) To light the public streets and highways and public buildings within the limits of the Village.
(2) To build and maintain sidewalks along the streets and public highways within the Village.
(3) To establish and maintain a fire department and such means of protection against fire, including the maintenance of a system of water supply and hydrants, as may be voted by the Village.
(4) To provide and maintain necessary police protection within and for the Village.
(5) To have perpetual succession and to sue and be sued and to have a common seal and alter the same at pleasure and to purchase, hold, and convey real and personal estate for the use of the Village for the lawful purposes herein specified.
(6) To lay taxes upon the grand list of the Village for any and all the purposes herein specified.
(7) To sprinkle or oil the public streets and highways with the limits of the Village. (Added 1912, No. 334, § 1; amended 1915, No. 309, § 1; 1923, No. 229, § 1.)