The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 003 : Regional Planning Commissions(Cite as: 24 V.S.A. § 4348)
§ 4348. Adoption and amendment of regional plan
(a) A regional planning commission shall adopt a regional plan. Any plan for a region, and any amendment thereof, shall be prepared by the regional planning commission. At the outset of the planning process and throughout the process, regional planning commissions shall solicit the participation of local citizens and organizations by holding informal working sessions that suit the needs of local people.
(b) The regional planning commission shall hold two or more public hearings within the region after public notice on any proposed plan or amendment. The minimum number of required public hearings may be specified within the bylaws of the regional planning commission.
(c) At least 30 days prior to the first hearing, a copy of the proposed plan or amendment, with a request for general comments and for specific comments with respect to the extent to which the plan or amendment is consistent with the goals established in section 4302 of this title, shall be delivered with proof of receipt, or sent by certified mail, return receipt requested, to each of the following:
(1) the chair of the legislative body of each municipality within the region;
(2) the executive director of each abutting regional planning commission;
(3) the Department of Housing and Community Development within the Agency of Commerce and Community Development;
(4) business, conservation, low-income advocacy, and other community or interest groups or organizations that have requested notice in writing prior to the date the hearing is warned; and
(5) the Agency of Natural Resources and the Agency of Agriculture, Food and Markets.
(d) Any of the foregoing bodies, or their representatives, may submit comments on the proposed regional plan or amendment to the regional planning commission, and may appear and be heard in any proceeding with respect to the adoption of the proposed plan or amendment.
(e) The regional planning commission may make revisions to the proposed plan or amendment at any time not less than 30 days prior to the final public hearing held under this section. If the proposal is changed, a copy of the proposed change shall be delivered, with proof of receipt or by certified mail, return receipt requested, to the chairperson of the legislative body of each municipality within the region, and to any individual or organization requesting a copy, at least 30 days prior to the final hearing.
(f) A regional plan or amendment shall be adopted by not less than a 60 percent vote of the commissioners representing municipalities, in accordance with the bylaws of the regional planning commission, and immediately submitted to the legislative bodies of the municipalities that comprise the region. The plan or amendment shall be considered duly adopted and shall take effect 35 days after the date of adoption, unless, within 35 days of the date of adoption, the regional planning commission receives certification from the legislative bodies of a majority of the municipalities in the region vetoing the proposed plan or amendment. In case of such a veto, the plan or amendment shall be deemed rejected.
(g) Regional plans may be reviewed from time to time and may be amended in the light of new developments and changed conditions affecting the region.
(h) In proceedings under 10 V.S.A. chapter 151, 10 V.S.A. chapter 159, and 30 V.S.A. § 248, in which the provisions of a regional plan or a municipal plan are relevant to the determination of any issue in those proceedings:
(1) the provisions of the regional plan shall be given effect to the extent that they are not in conflict with the provisions of a duly adopted municipal plan;
(2) to the extent that such a conflict exists, the regional plan shall be given effect if it is demonstrated that the project under consideration in the proceedings would have a substantial regional impact.
(i) Repealed.] (Added 1967, No. 334 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. March 23, 1968; amended 1971, No. 257 (Adj. Sess.), § 5, eff. April 11, 1972; 1979, No. 174 (Adj. Sess.), § 7; 1981, No. 132 (Adj. Sess.), § 7; 1987, No. 200 (Adj. Sess.), § 24, eff. July 1, 1989; 1989, No. 280 (Adj. Sess.), § 4a; 1989, No. 286 (Adj. Sess.), § 11, eff. June 22, 1990; 1995, No. 190 (Adj. Sess.), § 1(a); 2009, No. 146 (Adj. Sess.), § G5, eff. June 1, 2010; 2015, No. 64, § 28.)