The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 3501. Definitions
The following words and phrases, as used in this chapter and in chapter 101 of this title, shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Domestic sewage" or "house sewage" is sanitary sewage derived principally from dwellings, business buildings, and institutions.
(2) "Industrial wastes" or "trade wastes" are liquid wastes from industrial processes, including suspended solids.
(3) "Sanitary sewage" is used water supply commonly containing human excrement.
(4) "Sanitary treatment" shall be an approved method of treatment of solids and bacteria in sewage before final discharge.
(5) "Sewage" is the used water supply of a community, including such ground water, surface, and storm water as may or may not be mixed with these liquid wastes from the community.
(6) "Sewage system" shall include such equipment, pipe line system, and facilities as are needed for and appurtenant to the treatment or disposal of sewage and waters, as defined herein, including a sewage treatment or disposal plant, as defined in section 3601 of this title, and separate pipe lines and structural or nonstructural facilities as are needed for and appurtenant to the treatment or disposal of storm, surface, and subsurface waters.
(7) "Storm water" or "storm sewage" shall have the same meaning as "stormwater runoff" under 10 V.S.A. § 1264.
(8) "Surface water" is water other than storm water flowing on or over the surface of the ground. (Amended 2001, No. 109 (Adj. Sess.), § 7, eff. May 16, 2002; 2015, No. 158 (Adj. Sess.), § 28, eff. June 2, 2016.)