The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 1911. Definitions
The following terms when used in this chapter shall have the following meaning:
(1) "Acquire" shall mean to purchase, to acquire by eminent domain, to hire, to lease, to construct, to reconstruct, or to replace.
(2) "Communications plant" shall mean any and all parts of any communications system owned by the municipality, whether using wires, cables, fiber optics, wireless, other technologies, or a combination thereof, and used for the purpose of transporting or storing information, in whatever forms, directions, and media, together with any improvements thereto hereafter constructed or acquired, and all other facilities, equipment, and appurtenances necessary or appropriate to such system. However, the term "communications plant" and any regulatory implications or any restrictions under this chapter regarding either "communications plant" or "communications service" shall not apply to facilities or portions of any communications facilities intended for use by, and solely used by, the municipality and the municipality's own officers and employees in the operation of municipal departments or systems of which such communications are merely an ancillary component.
(3) "Communications service" shall include ownership, operation, and utilization of a communications plant within or without the corporate limits of the municipality to transport or store information in any form and medium.
(4) "Improve" shall mean to acquire or construct any improvement, whether consisting of real or personal property.
(5) "Improvement" shall mean any extension, betterment, addition, alteration, reconstruction, and extraordinary repair, equipping, or reequipping of the communications plant of the municipality. (Added 2007, No. 79, § 4, eff. June 9, 2007.)