The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 3171. Definitions
For purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the emergency personnel survivors benefit review board.
(2) "Child" means a natural or legally adopted child, regardless of age.
(3) "Emergency personnel" means:
(A) firefighters as defined in subdivision 3151(3) of this title;
(B) ambulance service, emergency medical, first responder service, and volunteer personnel as defined in 24 V.S.A. § 2651.
(4) "Line of duty" means:
(A) answering or returning from a call of the department for a fire, or emergency or training drill; or
(B) similar service in another town or district to which the department has been called for firefighting or emergency purposes.
(5) "Occupation-related illness" means a disease that directly arises out of, and in the course of, service, including a heart injury or disease symptomatic within 72 hours from the date of last service in the line of duty, which shall be presumed to be incurred in the line of duty.
(6) "Parent" means a natural or adoptive parent.
(7) "Survivor" means a spouse, child, or parent of emergency personnel. (Added 2001, No. 119 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2005, No. 33, § 1.)