The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : UNION SCHOOL DISTRICTS(Cite as: 16 V.S.A. § 706j)
§ 706j. Organization meeting; business to be transacted
(a) The meeting shall be called to order by the Secretary or a person designated by the Secretary, and at such meeting or at an adjournment thereof:
(1) A temporary presiding officer and clerk from among the qualified voters shall be elected.
(2) The meeting shall adopt Robert's or other rules of order, which shall govern the parliamentary procedures of this and subsequent meetings of the union school district.
(3) A moderator, a clerk, a treasurer, and three auditors shall be elected; a treasurer shall be elected unless a supervisory union treasurer is designated to act as treasurer of the union district.
(4) Compensation to be paid district officers shall be determined, and approved.
(5) The date of the annual meeting shall be not earlier than February 1 nor later than June 1.
(6) The date on which the union will assume control of existing schools of the class specified in the vote to establish the union, shall be determined.
(7) Provision shall be made for the payment of any expense incurred or to be incurred by or on behalf of the district for the period between the date on which the vote was taken to form the union district and the first annual meeting of the union district, including the cost of architects, surveyors, contractors, attorneys, educational consultants or other experts, the purchase price of a site for a union school, and current operating expenses.
(8) The board of directors may be authorized by the electorate to borrow money pending receipt of payments from the Education Fund by the issuance of its notes or orders payable not later than one year from date. A newly formed union school district, however, is authorized to borrow sufficient funds to meet pending obligations.
(9) Any other business, the subject matter of which has been included in the warning, that the voters have power to transact at any annual meeting, may be transacted.
(b) The officers and directors as elected shall be sworn in before entering upon the duties of their offices, and a record made by the clerk. They shall assume office upon being sworn in. Officers shall serve until the first annual meeting or until their successors are elected and qualified. When there is only one nominee for temporary presiding officer, temporary clerk, moderator, clerk, treasurer, or auditor, the voters may, by acclamation, instruct an officer to elect the nominee by casting one ballot, and upon the ballot being cast, the nominee shall be legally elected and shall thereupon be sworn. (Added 1967, No. 277 (Adj. Sess.), § 16; amended 1969, No. 298 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 1971, No. 138 (Adj. Sess.); 1973, No. 2, § 2; 1977, No. 128 (Adj. Sess.), § 2; 2003, No. 130 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. July 1, 2006; 2007, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 27; 2013, No. 92 (Adj. Sess.), § 87, eff. Feb. 14, 2014.)