The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 146-1. Town Treasurer
(a) The Selectboard shall appoint a Town Treasurer for one year, who shall not simultaneously hold any elective office within Town government, in the manner set forth in subsection (b) of this section. The appointee shall be competent in the keeping of records, investments, and accounting and shall serve at the pleasure of the Selectboard. The person chosen need not be a resident or voter of Salisbury.
(b)(1) Prior to appointing a Town Treasurer, the Selectboard shall appoint a committee to review and recommend to the Selectboard qualified candidates for the position of Treasurer.
(2) The committee shall be composed of two members of the Selectboard, the Town Clerk, and two residents of the Town.
(3) The committee shall have the authority to solicit candidates, advertise notice of vacancy in the Treasurer's position, and make an investigation of a candidate's credentials and background as the committee deems appropriate. Upon completion of the investigation and interviewing of candidates, the committee shall submit to the Selectboard the names of those candidates deemed qualified for the position.
(c) No later than 30 days following the submission of the names of candidates deemed qualified by the committee, the Selectboard shall appoint a Treasurer from that list, if applicable, or shall notify the committee that none of the candidates shall be appointed and shall direct the committee to forward a new list of candidates for consideration.
(d) Members of the committee described in subsection (b) of this section shall serve until a Treasurer is appointed by the Selectboard. Meetings of the committee shall be conducted in accordance with the Vermont Open Meeting Law.
(e) In case of a vacancy, until such time as a Treasurer is appointed pursuant to this section, the Selectboard shall appoint an interim Treasurer.
(f) The term of employment shall be from July 1 through June 30.
(g) Annually, 60 days before June 30, the Selectboard shall choose to reappoint the current Treasurer or solicit other candidates for the position.
(h) The Treasurer shall perform those duties adopted by the Selectboard and required by State law. (Added 2015, No. M-11, § 2, eff. May 26, 2015.)
§ 146-2. Town Clerk
(a) The Town Clerk shall be elected for one year and shall carry out the duties of a town clerk as specified by statute and by this chapter.
(b) The Clerk shall carry out those duties required by State law.
(c) Additional duties include:
(1) Handle day-to-day office duties and provide friendly, informative assistance to public and other Town officials.
(2) Provide information to assist the Selectboard in setting the open office hours to accommodate the needs of the Town.
(3) Maintain the electronic e-mail files of Town officials ensuring that privileged information is not divulged.
(4) Ensure that all members of the Selectboard are made aware, in a timely manner, of situations that should be brought to their attention.
(5) Assist in the production of the annual Town report by producing the Town Clerk's report, vital statistics report, and labels for same.
(6) Ensure that the Town offices are clean and safe.
(7) Maintain all records, electronic and digital, kept on computers.
(8) Attend the first monthly meeting of the Selectboard.
(9) Provide information as requested by the Selectboard so as to contribute to the effective governance of the Town.
(10) Be responsible for performing all functions as mandated by the State pertaining to Town records. (Added 2015, No. M-11, § 2, eff. May 26, 2015.)
§ 146-3. Separability
If any provision of this chapter is held invalid, the other provisions of this chapter shall not be affected thereby. (Added 2015, No. M-11, § 2, eff. May 26, 2015.)