The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 004 : VILLAGE MANAGER(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 221, § 4.02)
§ 221-4.02. Powers and duties of the Village Manager
The Village Manager shall be the chief administrative officer of the Village. He or she shall be responsible to the trustees for the administration of all Village affairs placed in his or her charge by or under this charter. He or she shall have the following powers and duties in addition to those powers and duties delegated to municipal managers under the Vermont statutes.
(1) The Manager shall appoint and, when he or she deems it necessary for the good of the service, suspend or remove all Village employees, and other employees provided for by or under this charter for cause, except as otherwise provided by law, this charter, or personnel rules adopted pursuant to this charter. He or she may authorize any employee who is subject to his or her direction and supervision to exercise these powers with respect to subordinates in that employee's department, office, or agency.
(2) The Manager shall direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices, and agencies of the Village, except as otherwise provided by this charter or by law.
(3) The Manager shall attend all trustees meetings and shall have the right to take part in discussion and make recommendations but may not vote.
(4) The Manager shall see that all laws, provisions of this charter, and acts of the trustees, subject to enforcement by him or her or by officers subject to his or her direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
(5) The Manager shall prepare and submit the annual budget and capital program to the trustees.
(6) The Manager shall submit to the trustees and make available to the public a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the Village as of the end of each fiscal year.
(7) The Manager shall make such other reports as the trustees may require concerning the operations of Village departments, offices, and agencies subject to his or her direction and supervision.
(8) The Manager shall keep the trustees fully advised as to the financial condition and future needs of the Village and make such recommendations to the trustees concerning the affairs of the Village as he or she deems desirable.
(9) The Manager or his or her designee shall perform the duties of Zoning Administrative Officer.
(10) The Manager shall be responsible for the enforcement of all Village ordinances and laws.
(11) The Manager may when advisable or proper delegate to subordinate officers and employees of the Village any duties conferred upon him or her by this charter, the Vermont statutes, or the trustees.
(12) The Manager shall annually appoint, subject to the trustees' approval, the Village Treasurer/Tax Collector, Village Clerk, Village Attorney, Village Fire Chief, and Village Engineering Consultant.
(13) The Manager shall perform such other duties as are specified in this charter or in State law, or as may be required by the trustees. (Amended 2013, No. M-6, § 2, eff. May 20, 2013.)