Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to subnav
Searching 2017-2018 Session

The Vermont Statutes Online

Title 24 Appendix : Municipal Charters

Chapter 251 : VILLAGE OF NORTH BENNINGTON

Subchapter 014 : APPENDIX

(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 251, § 1401)
  • § 251-1401. Boundaries

    (a) All that portion of the Town of Bennington in the County of Bennington that is embraced within the following described limits, viz.:

    It being the same territory that on the 10th day of May, 1866, the Selectboard of Bennington, pursuant to law, set out as and for the Village of North Bennington, the bounds of which in their order so setting out the Village of North Bennington were as follows, viz.:

    Commencing on the north line of the Town of Bennington at the northeast corner of lands belonging to Robinson and Parsons; thence westerly on the north line of the Town of Bennington to the west side of Sidney Colvin's land; thence southerly on the west line of Sidney Colvin's land to the highway leading from North Bennington Village to Richard Henry's dwelling house; thence westerly on the north side of the highway to a point due north from the northwest corner of T. W. Park's home farm; thence across the highway southerly and following the westerly boundary of T. W. Park's farm to the southwest corner thereof; thence easterly on the south side of the Park's farm to the road leading by the Milo Hinsdill place; thence southerly on the west side of the road to a point due west from the southwest corner of Hiram Richardson's land; thence easterly across the road and following the south line of the Richardson's land to the highway; thence easterly across the highway to the southwest corner of Hall Brothers' land; thence on the south line of the Hall Brothers' land to the southeast corner thereof; thence northerly on their east line to the northwest corner of the Fasset farm; thence easterly on the north line of the Fasset farm to the highway leading from North Bennington Village to the Edgerton place; thence on the west side of the highway southerly and on the south side of the highway easterly to the southeast corner of the Harvey farm recently bought by T. W. Park; thence northerly on the east side of the Harvey farm to the northeast corner thereof; thence northerly across the highway and following the boundaries of Robinson and Parsons land to the place of beginning which the proceedings so setting out the Village, were recorded on the 11th day of May, 1866, in the Bennington land records in book E on page 310 thereof.

    (b) Also a parcel of contiguous land bounded and described as follows, namely:

    Beginning at a point on the highway running easterly from the Village of North Bennington, now known as Mechanics Street in the Village at the northeasterly corner of lands owned by the late T. W. Park, and being the same point mentioned in the above description as the northeast corner of the Harvey farm; thence on the east line of the Park's land south two degrees west thirty five rods twenty links to the northerly line of the Park's land; thence on the northerly line east six and one-half degrees south seven rods and nine links; thence north eleven degrees east thirty and one-half rods to the southerly side of the highway; thence on the southerly side of the highway west thirty degrees north thirteen and one-half rods to the place of beginning; containing two acres of land, more or less, and being the same parcel of land that was annexed to the present Village of North Bennington by vote of the corporation at the annual meeting held on the 20th day of March, A. D., 1888.

    (c) The following described portion of the Town of Bennington, in the County of Bennington embraced within the following described limits is hereby added to and made a part of the Village of North Bennington, viz; commencing at the southwest corner of the old T. W. Park farm now said to be owned by the estate of John G. McCullough; thence south 74 degrees 30 minutes east 107 feet along the north line of property belonging to Charles Hinsdill to the northeast corner thereof; thence south 56 degrees 45 minutes west 799 feet along the west line of the Henry woods, so-called, to the south line of the woods; thence south 20 degrees 15 minutes east 417 feet, following the fence along the south line of the woods to the McCullough estate's west line; thence south 66 degrees west 717 feet along the McCullough estate's west line to the north line of a cross road leading from Hindillville, so called, to Sodom, so called, by the Charles Hinsdill farm; thence easterly following the northerly boundary of the aforesaid road 1504 feet to a point opposite the center line of the covered bridge called the Henry Bridge; thence south 31 degrees 50 minutes west to the north abutment of the bridge; thence easterly following along the north bank of the Walloomsac River, so called, to a point in line with the east line of property belonging to Charles Wood; thence north 15 degrees 26 minutes 56 seconds east, crossing the tracks of the Vermont Company and the concrete highway leading from the Village of Bennington to the Village of North Bennington to the southeast corner of the Charles Wood property; thence north 15 degrees, 26 minutes 56 seconds east 218§ feet along the Wood's east line to the south line of property belonging to Mrs. F. B. Jennings; thence north 15 degrees 26 minutes 56 seconds east 818.31 feet along the Jennings' line to a corner marking the intersection of an easterly boundary of the Jennings' land; thence north 72 degrees 39 minutes 18 seconds east 2285.36 feet through the Jennings' land to a point in the south line of the private drive owned by Jennings leading easterly to the highway; thence running along the southerly boundary of the Village of North Bennington as heretofore established by law, the southerly line running from the above described point in the south line of the private drive south-westerly to the west line of the highway leading from H. C. White Company's factory, northerly to the Village of North Bennington, and thence northerly on the west side of the highway and thence westerly on the southerly line of the Village as heretofore established, to the point of beginning.

    (d) The following described lands within the Town of Bennington in the County of Bennington are hereby annexed to and made a part of the Village of North Bennington, viz:

    PARCEL NO. 1:

    Beginning at a point on the south side of Town Highway No. 118 (Harland Road, so called) where the present Village line intersects with the highway, and thence running easterly along the south boundary of Town Highway No.118 to its intersection with the West boundary of Town Highway No. 117 (Mattison Road, so called); thence running easterly across the highway to the easterly side thereof; thence northeasterly along the east boundary of Town Highway No. 117 to the southwest corner of lands of Buchsbaum; thence continuing along the south line of Buchsbaum's land to its southeast corner; thence running northeasterly along Buchsbaum's east line to its intersection with lands of G. D. Mattison on the south line of the Mattison's lands; thence running easterly along Mattison's south line to the west line of the right-of-way of the Rutland Railroad Corporation; thence in a north-westerly direction following the southwesterly boundary of the Rutland Railroad Corporation right-of-way to the point of its intersection with the present Village line; thence running in a generally southerly direction following the present Village line to the place of beginning.

    PARCEL NO. 2:

    Beginning at a point on the south line of the Town of Shaftsbury where the present Village line turns south through lands of Colvin; thence running westerly along the south line of the Town of Shaftsbury along or through lands of Colvin, Jolivette, and Thurber to the west line of Thurber's land; thence running southerly along the west line of Thurber to the north line of West Street Extension, so called; thence running easterly along the north line of West Street Extension to the point of its intersection with the present Village line; thence continuing easterly and then northerly following the present Village line to the place of beginning. (Added 2015, No. M-13 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. Feb. 24, 2016.)