The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 002 : ANNUAL AND SPECIAL MEETINGS.(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 217, § 202)
§ 217-202. Officers to be elected at annual meeting
(a) At the annual meeting of the Village, the following officers shall be elected, by ballot if called for, for the ensuing year except as provided in subsection (d) of this section, and until their successors are chosen:
(1) a Moderator, who shall preside at all meetings of the Village with powers of moderators at town meetings;
(2) a Clerk, who shall keep a record of the proceedings of meetings of the Village, with power to certify copies of the same, and who shall perform all the duties of a clerk;
(3) three Trustees, subject to the provisions of subsection (d) of this section, who shall have the management of the affairs of the Village, with the necessary powers for that purpose, who may fill vacancies in the offices of the Village, may act by a majority, and of whom the oldest in office present at any meeting of the Village shall preside when the Moderator is absent;
(4) a Treasurer, who shall be sworn and shall discharge the usual duties of a treasurer;
(5) a Tax Collector, who shall be sworn and shall discharge the usual duties of a tax collector; and
(6) such other officers as the bylaws of the Village require, who shall have all the powers necessary for the purposes of their office.
(b) The Treasurer and the Tax Collector shall give bonds within 10 days after their election or appointment in such sums as the Village shall direct for the faithful performance of their duties. Failure to give such a bond within that time period shall cause the office to be vacant.
(c) Candidates for the offices of Clerk, Treasurer, and Tax Collector do not need to be residents of the Village, but shall be residents of the Town of Derby as shown by their inclusion on the Town voter checklist.
(d) There shall be elected at the annual meeting of 1911 three Trustees for a term of one, two, and three years, respectively, and thereafter, at each annual meeting, one Trustee shall be elected for the term of three years, to succeed the Trustee whose term expires. A vacancy in such office may be filled at an annual meeting. (Amended 2013, No. M-11 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. April 8, 2014.)