The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 155G-2. Town Treasurer
(a) The Selectboard shall appoint a Town Treasurer in the manner set forth in subsection (b) of this section. The appointee shall be competent in the keeping of records, investments, and accounting and shall serve at the pleasure of the Selectboard. The person chosen need not be a resident or voter of Williamstown.
(b) Prior to appointing a Treasurer, the Selectboard shall appoint a committee composed of two members of the Selectboard, the Town Clerk, a lister, a member of the School Board, three residents of the Town of Williamstown, and a qualified certified public accountant or equivalent who is not currently the Town's sitting auditor to review and recommend to the Selectboard qualified candidates for the position of Treasurer. The committee shall have the authority to solicit candidates, advertise notice of a vacancy in the Treasurer's position, and make an investigation of a candidate's credentials and background as the committee deems appropriate. Upon completion of the investigation and interviewing of candidates, the committee shall submit to the Selectboard the names of those candidates deemed qualified for the position.
(c) No later than 30 days following the submission of the names of candidates deemed qualified by the committee, the Selectboard shall appoint a Treasurer from that list, if applicable, or shall notify the committee that none of the candidates shall be appointed.
(d) Members of the committee described in subsection (b) of this section shall serve until a Treasurer is appointed by the Selectboard. Meetings of the committee shall be warned and conducted as public meetings in accordance with the requirements of Vermont statutes and this charter and the committee shall be entitled to meet in executive session as authorized by 1 V.S.A. § 313.
(e) In case of a vacancy, until such time as a Treasurer is appointed pursuant to this section, the Selectboard shall appoint an interim Treasurer.
(f) The Treasurer shall:
(1) perform the duties required by State statutes or as provided by this chapter;
(2) promptly deposit funds coming into his or her hands in any depositories as may be designated by the Selectboard;
(3) invest town funds with the approval of the Selectboard;
(4) keep books and accounts as required by the Selectboard;
(5) make monthly reports to the Selectboard of the financial activities of the Town. These reports shall include a listing of all expenditures during the preceding month; a listing of all revenue received during the preceding month, indicating the source of these revenues; an accounting of all reserve funds of the Town; and a statement showing the balance in the general, highway, and all special funds at the end of the preceding month;
(6) perform any other duties as specified in the accounting and financial policies adopted by the Selectboard. (Added 2011, No. M-14 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. May 7, 2012.)