The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 005 : TOWN MANAGER(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 129, § 503)
§ 129-503. Responsibilities, powers, and duties
(a) In general, the Town Manager shall be accountable to the Selectboard. He or she shall have general supervision of the property and business affairs of the Town and expenditures of all monies appropriated for Town purposes subject to prior approval by the Selectboard. He or she shall not supervise any elected town officer in the conduct of such officer's duties.
(b) In particular, the Town Manager shall have power and it shall be his or her duty:
(1) To organize, operate, continue, or discontinue such departments as the Selectboard may determine.
(2) To carry out the policies laid down by the Board, to keep the Board informed of the financial condition and future needs of the Town, and to make such reports as may be required by law or requested by the Board together with any other reports and recommendations which he or she may deem advisable.
(3) To keep full and complete records of the actions of his or her office.
(4) To appoint, fix their compensation, and remove, upon merit and fitness alone, any subordinate official, employees, and agents under his/her control. Although the Town Manager may hold subordinate officers and employees of the Town responsible for the faithful discharge of their duties, the Town Manager shall remain ultimately responsible to the Board for all administrative actions under his or her jurisdiction.
(5) To be present at all regular meetings of the Selectboard except when excused by the Board and to have the right to attend all other meetings of said Board and committees thereof except when his or her removal or suspension is being discussed.
(6) To keep the Selectboard fully advised as to the needs of the Town within the scope of the Manager's duties and annually to furnish to them a five year projection of capital improvements for the Town.
(7) To examine or cause to be examined, with or without notice, the affairs of any department under his or her control or the conduct of any officer or employee thereof. For that purpose, he or she shall have access to all books and papers of such departments for the information necessary for the proper performance of his or her duties.
(8) To be the general purchasing agent of the Town and purchase all supplies for every department using the purchasing policy approved by the Selectboard.
(9) To be responsible for keeping such books and accounts of disbursements for all Town departments.
(10) To supervise all special programs of the Town as if the same were a separate department of the Town unless otherwise voted by the Selectboard.
(11) To participate in the discussion of matters coming before the Selectboard and its committees but not the right to vote.
(12) To perform such other duties which may be required of him or her by vote of the Selectboard by law or by ordinance consistent with this charter.
(13) To have charge, control, and supervision of the Police Department and to appoint, remove, and fix the compensation of all officers and employees thereof.
(14) The Town Manager or his or her designee shall be the Collector of Delinquent Taxes.