The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : CREATION AND POWERS(Cite as: 24 App. V.S.A. ch. 409, § 108)
§ 409-108. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Board" means the Board of Supervisors of the Lamoille Regional Solid Waste Management District.
(2) "District" means the Lamoille Regional Solid Waste Management District.
(3) "Members" means those municipalities who comprise the District.
(4) "Solid Waste" means any discarded garbage, refuse, or any other solid, liquid, or contained gaseous material as well as septage or sludge from a waste or water supply treatment facility, but does not include hazardous.
(5) "Hazardous Waste" means any solid, liquid, or contained gaseous waste, or any combination of these wastes, which because of its quantity, concentration, or physical, chemical, or infectious characteristics has ever been at any time in the past, is presently, or may in the future be classified as hazardous under applicable laws and regulations of the United States, the State of Vermont, or any subdivision thereof, or by regulation of the District.
(6) "Transport" or "transportation" means the movement of waste by air, rail, highway, or water.
(7) "Treatment" means any method, technique, or process, including neutralization designed to change the physical, chemical, or biological character or composition of any solid waste so as to neutralize such waste, or so as to recover energy or material resources from the waste or so as to render such waste safer for transport, amendable for recovery, amendable for storage, or reduced in volume.
(8) "Facility" means all contiguous land, structures, other appurtenances, and improvements on the land, used for treating, recycling, storing, or disposing of waste. A facility may consist of several treatment, storage, or disposal operational units.
(9) "Disposal" means the discharge, deposit, injection, dumping, spilling, leaking, or placing of any solid waste into or on any land or water such that solid waste or any constituent thereof may enter the environment or be emitted into the air or discharged into any ground or surface waters.
(10) "Person" means any individual, partnership, company, corporation, association, unincorporated association, joint venture, trust, municipality, the State of Vermont or any agency, department, or subdivision of the State, federal agency, or any other legal or commercial entity.