The Vermont Statutes Online
§ 227-15. Bylaws
The Village, at an annual or special meeting duly warned for that purpose, may make, alter, and repeal bylaws of the following subject matter, viz.:
(1) Relating to their streets, sidewalks, alleys, public highways, commons, parks, and public grounds, the cleaning, repairing, and improving the same; to prevent the encumbering the same with fire wood, coal, ashes, lumber, carriages, boxes, and other things, and to compel persons to remove from the sidewalks and gutters adjacent to the premises owned or occupied by them snow, dirt, and garbage and to keep the sidewalks and gutters clean.
(2) Relating to policing and lighting the streets.
(3) Relating to nuisances generally and to compel the owner or occupants of an unwholesome, dangerous, or offensive house or place to remove or cleanse the same from time to time, as may be necessary for the health, comfort, and protection of the inhabitants of the Village.
(4) Relating to sewers.
(5) Relating to water supply for the protection of the Village and the inhabitants thereof, and for other purposes, and to regulate the use of the same.
(6) To restrain animals from running at large in the Village.
(7) To suppress disorderly and gambling houses and all descriptions of gaming, and for the destruction of instruments used for that purpose.
(8) To prevent immoderate driving in the streets and cruelty to animals.
(9) To regulate the manufacture or keeping of gunpowder and all combustibles or dangerous materials.
(10) To regulate the making, altering, and repairing of stovepipes, furnaces, fire places, depositories for ashes, and other things from which loss or damage from fire may be apprehended, and in general to provide for the preservation of buildings from fire, precautionary measures and inspections.
(11) To establish and regulate a fire department and fire hose and hook and ladder companies.
(12) To regulate and restrain the sale and use of rockets, squibs, firecrackers, toy pistols, or other fireworks within the Village; also guns, cannons, and explosives.
(13) To license inn-keeping and victualing, peddlers, itinerant vendors, and auctioneers; to license and suppress billiard and pool tables, bowling alleys, skating rinks, and other places of amusement.
(14) To regulate the length, width, and grade of streets and sidewalks, and the construction of and protect the same.
(15) To prohibit and punish wilful injury to trees planted for shade, ornament, convenience, or use, public or private, and to prevent and punish trespass or wilful injury to or upon public buildings, squares, commons, cemeteries, or other property within the Village, and the corporation may establish other or repeal other bylaws and ordinances which it may deem necessary for the well-being of the Village, and for the proper regulation of the officers thereof, not repugnant to the laws of the State. (Amended 2005, No. M-15 (Adj. Sess.), § 2, eff. June 20, 2006.)