The Vermont Statutes Online
Subchapter 001 : General Provisions(Cite as: 11 V.S.A. § 3201)
§ 3201. Definitions
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Business" includes every trade, occupation, and profession.
(2) "Debtor in bankruptcy" means a person who is the subject of:
(A) an order for relief under Title 11 of the U.S. Code or a comparable order under a successor statute of general application; or
(B) a comparable order under federal, state, or foreign law governing insolvency.
(3) "Distribution" means a transfer of money or other property from a partnership to a partner in the partner's capacity as a partner or to the partner's transferee.
(4) "Foreign limited liability partnership" means a partnership that:
(A) is formed under laws other than the laws of this State; and
(B) has the status of a limited liability partnership under those laws.
(5) "Limited liability partnership" means a partnership that has filed a statement of qualification under section 3291 of this title and does not have a similar statement in effect in any other jurisdiction.
(6) "Partnership" means an association of two or more persons to carry on as co-owners a business for profit formed under section 3212 of this title, predecessor law, or comparable law of another jurisdiction and includes for all purposes of the laws of this State a limited liability partnership.
(7) "Partnership agreement" means the agreement, whether written, oral, or implied, among the partners concerning the partnership, including amendments to the partnership agreement.
(8) "Partnership at will" means a partnership in which the partners have not agreed to remain partners until the expiration of a definite term or the completion of a particular undertaking.
(9) "Partnership interest" or "partner's interest in the partnership" means all of a partner's interests in the partnership, including the partner's transferable interest and all management and other rights.
(10) "Person" means an individual, corporation, limited liability company, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, or instrumentality, or any other legal or commercial entity.
(11) "Property" means all property, real, personal, or mixed, tangible or intangible, or any interest therein.
(12) "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
(13) "Statement" means a statement of partnership authority under section 3223 of this title, a statement of denial under section 3224 of this title, a statement of dissociation under section 3264 of this title, a statement of dissolution under section 3275 of this title, a statement of merger under section 3287 of this title, a statement of qualification under section 3291 of this title, a statement of foreign qualification under section 3302 of this title; or an amendment or cancellation of any of the foregoing.
(14) "Transfer" includes an assignment, conveyance, lease, mortgage, deed, and encumbrance. (Added 1997, No. 149 (Adj. Sess.), § 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1999.)